Donate your barbies for a good cause

When mummy is not over playing with the girls or in her garden in her free time she enjoys crochet and knitting. Today i would like to talk to you about what she does and WHY she does it.

My mum collects used barbies (old/used barbies basically barbie dolls that have not been played with, or a little girl has outgrown them and plays with barbie on her ipad instead hehe). Even if they are not in the best shape my mum will  clean them, untangle their hair basically gives them some TLC  to make them presentable again. Once barbie has had a makeover mummy dresses them with outfits (which she has lovingly made for them) such as these you see below.

Barbie outfits…check out more outfits here

So here is where Mummy needs your help. The dilemma is that my mum has made lots and i mean LOTS of these outfits for barbie dolls, but she is missing one thing… Barbies to dress them in!

You see the reason why she wants barbies is well…how about she tells you?
It with with great pleausure to have my mum guest post on my blog today, take it away Mummy!

Hello Everyone!

I collect unwanted Barbie dolls, wash them, comb their hair, and make for them beautiful outfits. Once they are ready,  I send them to a charity organization which dispatch them all over the world.

Here are photos of Barbie dolls going to Haiti to bring a little happiness to little girls in an orphanage.

Next month, another consignment will be sent to Sri Lanka.

So Mummy what  organization is it?
The association is called “Espoir Sans Frontieres” (Hope without borders) is an non profit Association founded by founded by Mrs Annie Vallée in 1991.

How did you get into making this project of making barbie clothes?
How it started:  In France, I saw my sister knitting little outfits for her granddaughter’s Barbie dolls.  I helped her to knit a few , and enjoyed it.

Back in Oman, I search the net for new patterns. I found hundreds, so lovely, so different that I started knitting and soon had such a lot of Barbie outfits I did not know what to do with them.  I started looking for old dolls and dressed them up.  So I ended up with lots of dolls and had the idea to give them away to charity.  I went on the net again I contacted a few organizations, but only one replied.

They seemed very interested , so on my next trip to France I packed all the Barbies in my suitcase and once in France with the help of my sisters we sent a first parcel with a total of 75 dolls to Espoirs sans frontieres.

Dolls have been distributed by the Association to many different orphanages,  some dolls were sold at Xmas markets in France in December 2011 to help pay for a little girl’s heart operation.   Plus I enjoy knitting and i have lots of outfits ready but i am in desparate need of Barbie dolls.

How can one help?
 If anyone has old Barbie or Fullah dolls, even looking a bit tired (but in good  general conditions) I would be most grateful to receive them .

Help me put a smile on the faces of those little girls in the orphanage in Haiti. That smile says more than a thousand words.

Do you have any lonely, sad, unloved barbie dolls ?  Do you want them to have a second life and bring happiness to little orphane girls??

Please call or text 95151122 or 99436699  to set up a meeting place that way mummy can give them a makeover and send them off to little girls who cant wait to play with them!

If you are out of Oman and would still like to donate Barbies please leave me a comment below and i will send you our address.

We all love our mothers but i always say god must have loved me a little more because he gave me MY  ♥ mother  and now you all know why :)

comments

This entry was posted in crafty mama, family, Handmade, Inspiration, Knitting, Oman and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Donate your barbies for a good cause

1. Karima says:

This is such a brilliant idea! Here in the UK you can get many barbies from the charity shops so cheaply many naked without clothes. Your mum is so nice to do this for charity!

Mayya…that is such an awesome work your mom is doing…will keep this in mind ..thank you for sharing this, so that we all came to know about such a lovely act. God bless
    Nima´s last blog post ..Crochet treasures for Christmas

• Mayya says:

Hi Nima, lovely to see you here its been a while. Your most welcome its the least i can do to share the news, hopefully this post will be read and we manage to get some barbies. Thank you for stopping by x

3. Jayme says:

I would like to send some barbies your way. If I could have yor address I will do just that.

4. Olga Scarda says:

My daughter, 8 year old Isabella, and I want to share her dolls.

5. Eileen says:

Do you still accept tenderly loved Barbies. ?Please respond so that we can send a donation to you.

6. Lori says:

I started crying when I read this… I loved loved loved playing with my Barbies when I was a little girl. And I learned to sew by making them all new wardrobes because we couldn’t afford to buy store clothes. What joy, fun, imagination, and love a simple plastic smiling face can bring a child… even if Barbie just sits and listens she’s an amazing companion.

I live in the US, in Arizona actually, but would be so happy to help with this project. Is your mother still collecting dolls? I see them everywhere when I am thrifting and going to yard sales here in my big city… I would snatch them up in a heartbeat, collect them from friends, and send your mother a big box of dolls when I have enough. (I could never part with mine… we’ve been friends far too long and they are so dear to me.)

• Mayya says:

Thank you Lori so much for commenting i must admit that i have always loved my barbie dolls i spent hours on end playing with them. My mum still collects barbies i will email you her address. Thank you for wanting to help x

7. Sonya says:

Are you still accepting barbies to donate? I have some that I could send. Thank you!

8. barbi says:

How can I go about donating Barbie dolls?

9. Lori says:

I have barbies that I would like to donate. Can you please email me the address where they can be mailed?

Thanks.
    Lori

10. Kimberly says:

I have barbies which I love but they need good homes… please send me your address and hopefully my darlings can help you. I live in Georgia,in the USA.

11. Mirabelle says:

Hi. I have been cleaning out my house and came across tons of barbies that are in decent shape. Do you still take them?
    Thanks,
    Mirabelle

• mayya says:

Thank you Mirabelle yes we still take them.

If you are in Oman i can arrange to collect them if not they will need to be shipped to France (i can email you the address).

12. Rene says:

Hello, just stumbled on your site. Are you still collecting barbies? My daughter would like to help out as part of her beta community service. PM your mailing address and l can send you what we have so far.

13. Lisa says:

I live in the US, do you know of a place that does the same thing you do here in the states?

14. wendi says:

So i have about 17 dolls my sister does not use anymore i would love to donate them.