How i organize my scrap fabric – Mini tutorial

This year seems to be all about organizing and i must say i am doing good  so far …check back with me after 11 months LOL

I remember last year when i attended my sewing course (which lasted one month)  one thing that i remember clearly was that i was told not to throw away fabric because i could use them again for small sewing projects.

So i listened and kept most of the fabric until i ended up with a huge bag full of scraps!

It was getting very hard to maintain and i just kept it stuffed in one of those re-usable bags. It was ONE big mess i tell you and trying to find fabric was another story, because i would empty the whole bag on the floor and rumage through to see what i could use…

So when i was setting up my sewing room it was the perfect opportunity to sort that mess out and this is what i did.

You will need:

a basket

Ribbon (optional)

your scarp fabrics

So i went throught the mountain of fabrics and folded them and stacked them one on top of the other and laid them in the basket nice and tight..and VOILA your done!

I love this idea as i can now see what fabrics i have and the basket sits on my cutting table and just looks so beautiful :)

The bigger basket the more you can fit in of course so its all up to you, you can use embellish the basket a ton of ways just use your imagination and go wild :)

Here it is after i embellished the fabric with ribbon – you know how much i love ribbon i love keeping it nice and simple :)

I hope you enjoyed this simple tutorial and would love to hear how you store your scrap fabric.

Linking to

Warm stitches

comments

This entry was posted in DIY, Fabric, Time Saver, tips, Tutorial and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to How i organize my scrap fabric – Mini tutorial

1. Karin says:

I have my scraps stored in some sort of basket too. It’s very practical indeed and looks cute.
    .-= Karin´s last blog ..My Creative Space =-.

wow…looks neat and tidy….

how do you manage dust Mayya…I love to keep my stuff outside, so it is easy to use….but i’m scared of dust….so my stuff is inside a chest of drawers…
    .-= Nima´s last blog ..Bitten by the patchwork bug…. =-.

3. Zura says:

great tip mayya! mine is all jumbled up I’m not sure I’ve the courage to sort them out lol
    .-= Zura´s last blog ..Simple Random Sewing =-.

4. Preeta says:

Mayya, it looks lovely and it adds colour to your sewing room.
    .-= Preeta´s last blog ..A dream turning to reality….. =-.

5. I do the same thing with my larger scraps. I can usually use these to make my baby toy sets so once in awhile I’ll go through them and use them all up. Smaller scraps I can’t use usually go in a bag and I sell them in my etsy shop. They’re good for quilters, but I don’t quilt.
    .-= Rhonda Cooley´s last blog ..Fuscia Skulls Baby Toy Set =-.

6. Lily says:

I love this! Not only functional, but pretty as well……

Popped in from SITS!
    .-= Lily´s last blog ..I knew it would happen someday, but am still shocked…. =-.

7. Laura says:

It looks so pretty. Great Job!

Stopping by from SITS
    .-= Laura´s last blog ..Warm Chickpea, Spinach and Bulgar Salad =-.

8. Emma says:

I love your blog!! It’s so cute!! :)

9. Tami says:

Great basket of goodies! It would be nice to have an exchange of “excess” fabric with a friend. This could be a gift basket too. LOL! I sew and blog too and when I saw your comment on SITS, I had to stop over. I’m glad I did!
    .-= Tami´s last blog ..How to Make a Felt Valentine Door Stand-Up card =-.

10. Rebecca says:

What a cute, clever idea! I love that you can actually SEE all of your scraps. Mine have a tendency to get lost at the bottom of a plastic tub. I like your idea so much better!
    .-= Rebecca´s last blog ..No-Fly-Away Tablecloth from a Shower Curtain =-.

11. This is so simple – and so clever! I need to do this with my stash!
    .-= Amy @ Positively Splendid´s last blog ..A treat for your honey-bunnies =-.

12. Chacoy says:

What a great idea! looks really cute with the ribbon;}

13. Laura says:

That’s really good lookin sewing room. Bet you’dbe inspired every time you sew. But……..any clues on how to keep them dust and lint free? What about those really small lovely scraps an those odd notions like velcros and interfacings….how?