Fat Quarter Sewing Tutorials

I have read lots of sewing blogs and sites and have always come across the term fat quarter and there are tons of tutorials made with fat quaters.

What is a fat qurater you may ask?

A fat quarter is a one-fourth yard cut of fabric that (usually) measures 18″ x 22″ instead of the typical 9″ x 44″ quarter-yard cut. The longest side’s dimension will vary if your fabric is not 44″ wide.

Why would i want a fat quarter?

Look at the illustration

and you’ll see that a fat quarter gives you the opportunity to cut larger chunks of fabric than would be possible from a regular quarter-yard, including strips that are twice as long on the fabric’s (less stretchy) lengthwise grain.

A fat quarter offers more versatility, whether it’s for patchwork or appliqué. Quilt shops know that fat quarters are popular, and usually offer a wide assortment of them, pre-cut and ready to go.

You can use fat quarters for strip piecing by making extra strip sets from shorter lengths of fabric until you’ve cut the number of segments required for the pattern.

This information was extracted from Quilting at about.com

Now that we got that covered lets get to the things you can make with fat quaters

Reversible project bag by Firebrunette

Make a scarf with 5 FQ Tea Rose home shows you how

Make a  baby skirt using this tutorial by Wink Designs

A kiddo’s pocket organzier by June at noon using 2 FQ

Fat Quater Tote bag by Cicada Daydream

For more projects on what you can make with FQ i suggest you visit this link from Sew Mama Sew

Happy Sewing

comments

This entry was posted in Fat Quarters Tutorials, Sewing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Fat Quarter Sewing Tutorials

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Fat Quarter Sewing Tutorials « Sew Chic and Unique -- Topsy.com

wow…that’s interesting…thank you for the links
    .-= Nima´s last blog ..Bitten by the patchwork bug…. =-.

3. Satakieli says:

Great ideas, thanks for the links!

I’m always buying fat quarters when I see pretty fabric and half the time I don’t know what to do with them!

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest!
    .-= Satakieli´s last blog ..Wordless Wednesday – Dark =-.

4. Jen says:

Thanks for sharing. I have a box full of “fat 1/4” sized fabric that was taken out of a sample book, I’ve been looking for projects to use them on……jackpot!

Happy Saturday Sharefest.
    .-= Jen´s last blog ..Friday Follow: A Celebration of Followers =-.

5. Carrie says:

Thanks for the tutorial! I always wondered what to do with those fat quarters. Now, if I could only find one as lovely as the fabric in that last photo of the bag– I LOVE THAT FABRIC!!!

Stopping by from SITS!
    .-= Carrie´s last blog ..Thrift Store Scores =-.

6. Lia says:

Thank you for this wonderful information. I love the picutres on your site. Cheers, Lia

7. wendiwinn says:

i love fat quarters. i don’t do much with them. i just save them. it’s a sickness.
    .-= wendiwinn´s last blog ..my husband is the best because he understands to kindly walk over me when i’m passed out on the floor. =-.